Saturday 5 April 2008

Everything's Gone a Bit Blurry...

In my never ending search for a working method, I came across this from Alex James’ autobiography, Bit of a Blur:

If musicians only talked about writing songs in interviews, they would be very dull to read. It’s an exhilarating process though, songwriting... It always starts off with the certain feeling that I will never be able to do it. Then something always happens. Making music isn’t something you do by thinking about it or talking about it; it’s something that you do by doing it... You can’t usefully analyse it any further.

Substitute ‘songwriting’ for ‘writing’, and there you have it – this just about sums things up for me.

That said, I’m working on a treatment at the moment, which I must say is a very novel concept for me (well, when I say ‘treatment’, I mean ten pages of notes that look as if they might be the start of a treatment). Perhaps I should concentrate a bit more on playing bass...

No comments: