Thursday 12 June 2008

7 Songs

Oooh, I’ve been memed by the Target obsessed Mr Stickler (honestly, Rob: Starship Trooper featuring Sarah Brightman? Zoiks!):

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring.

Well, let’s see now:

1) Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys (picked out the first album today for a blast).
2) Create and Melt – Dali’s Car (don’t ask, please).
3) Love and Mathematics – Broken Social Scene
4) The International Tweexcore Underground – Los Campesinos!
5) Glasgow Mega Snake - Mogwai
6) Fucked Up Kid – Kevin Drew
7) New Year – Death Cab for Cutie.

(Thank God this meme wasn’t called 9 Songs, otherwise this post would have been another anti-Winterbottom rant).

OK, I tag Robin, Lucy, Elinor and Rachael, although I suspect they’ve all been ‘done’ already – so consider yourselves double memed! Or something.

4 comments:

Rachael Howard said...

Hi Chip. Yep so good they memed me twice. I've put the post up. Will have to look some of your tracks up I think.

Chip Smith said...

Hi Rach - a good place to start would be 'You Forgot It In People', by Broken Social Scene - if you don't like it, I will eat my hat! (the one with space for two beer cans).

Robin Kelly said...

Los Campesinos was nearly on my list but a different track and I really do need to investigate Mogwai, they've been recommended too many times to keep ignoring them.

Chip Smith said...

I'm not really sure where to suggest to start with Mogwai - a lot of people rate the debut Young Team, but I think Rock Action is a lot better. I never really got into Come On Die Young - that said, Mr Beast is excellent, very accessible with songs of a sensible length (ie, none of the fifteen minute rackets of old that they seem to be renowned for).