Wednesday 7 November 2007

Random, Shorter

I've decided to take a leaf out of Scott the Reader's book and attempt at least a page of constructive screenwriting every day (I don't count this as writing at all - like English Dave, relaxation for me is pounding out blogwords). So, I've set myself a target of two months to get a third draft of a script ready (for reasons that will become apparent over the weekend).

Problem is, I'm not the sort of writer who can knock out a draft in a week. I have a tendency to outline as I write, which often means I have to go back and re-write what I wrote the previous day. It wasn't until I did Leanne's twenty questions recently that I fully realised what a nightmare my working method is. In fact, I don't think I have a working method at all.

The following tells its own story I think:

4/11/07 (start of re-draft) - 2 pages written

5/11/07 - 2 pages written

6/11/07 – written notes and back story development/re-jig, which means a re-write of the 4 pages from previous 2 days, plus 2 pages written.

And so on until my brain implodes...

Most of the time I stare sightlessly at the computer screen thinking that what I'm writing is a load of old flap (and cursing my lack of method), but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that one.

The other disturbing discovery I made today is that I’m not as tall as I thought I was. For some reason, I’ve been labouring under the misapprehension that I’m six feet tall. My height was measured today, and it turns out that I’m only 5’ 11”! I must’ve have passed through a cloud of radioactive dust or something.

Right – I’m off to find that extra inch...

No comments: